Tuesday 1 March 2011

Together We Read - Luqman's Advice


We chose to read "Luqman's Advice" from Qur'aan stories (From Ibn Katheer's Qur'aan Stories and "My First Qur'aan Stories")masha Allaah. This goes with the topic of our week "I must Obey my Parents" from our Pre school Curriculum.


We read the Advice of Luqman.



We learnt that Luqman was a wise man who was a black person with thick lips and with excellent manners, masha Allaah. And Allaah bestowed upon him wisdom and he was a thankful slave. We also learnt that Luqman used to always advise his son to the extent that he used to keep a bag of mustards beside him and started to advise his son, giving him with every piece of advice a mustard till it all ran out. Subhanallaah!

Then we typed and printed out Luqman's Advice and made a poster with pictures.



This is how the poster looks..


And here is a closer look.



Then we discussed all the contents again. Discussion was fruitful. I asked Maimoonah why do you think Luqman is advising his son like this, she said "To correct him". Hmm.. So we spoke about how much parents want their children to be good Muslims, well mannered Muslims and how much they love that Allaah is happy with their children. She understood very much masha Allaah.

Then I gave her some mustard seeds to explain the advise "O my son! If it be (anything) equal to the weight of a grain of mustard seed, and though it be in a rock, or in the heavens or in the earth, Allah will bring it forth. Verily, Allah is Subtle (in bringing out that grain), Well-Aware (of its place)" . That was something exciting for her. She was also playing around with the seeds.


We also spoke about walking moderately, not being proud and arrogant, speaking softly and not shouting like the braying of the donkey.

Masha Allaah this is a great story to talk about with toddlers, They learn so much and most of all this is from the Qur'aan. I am sure we will have many discussions throughout the week Insha Allaah!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

mashaAllaah that sounds beautiful! please, if you dont mind, where did you purchase the set of kids books from the stories of ibn katheer? who are the publishers! SubhanAllah, the book looks and sounds fabulous! jazakAllaah for sharing...

Umm Muhammad Saalih

Umm Maimoonah said...

Assalaamu Alaikum sis Umm Muhammad Saalih

The book that I have shown in the post is from here http://www.goodwordbooks.com/childrens-book.html

I am not sure if all their books are authentic. This particular book I check the contents with the Tafseer of Ibn Katheer before reading and so far seems ok.

The other one which is the Qur'aan stories which could be downloaded here Insha Allaah.

http://www.islambasics.com/index.php?act=download&BID=80

This one has all the information but like a tafseer you will have to illustrate to the kids according to their age Insha Allaah!

Hope this would help. Also the poster print outs are done by me on MS Word. If you want I can email it to you insha Allaah. Please let me know!

Alizah Ali said...

Subhanallah, wonderful work by your little girl. We did Luqman story during father's day last year.

Umm Maimoonah said...

Jazzakillaah Khayr dear sister Alizah. Hope you all had a great learning time too!

madmumof4 said...

Assalamo alaikum,

JazekAllah khair for sharing, i have some mustard seeds so inshaAllah I will do this story tomorrow with my lot.

Umm Maimoonah said...

Alaikum salaam sis Umm Salam. I hope you would enjoy as we did Insha Allaah. Hope you would share your learning experience too bi idhnillaah!

Umm Umamah said...

Assalamo alaikum Ukhti,
just saw this post Mashallah! By the Grace of Allah......you my dear sister just inspired me and helped me come up with an exciting idea......I'll link it back to you when I post it Inshallah!

Umm Maimoonah said...

Alaikum salaam sis Umm Umamah,

I am glad this was beneficial for you. Hope to see what you are gonna do Insha Allaah!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...