Saturday 10 December 2011

Sewing Saturdays - Chain Stitch

We managed to get some embroidery threads and cotton clothe the other day at the hypermarket.



So today we attempted to sew "Chain Stitch". This was my favourite stitch when I was in school may be when I was about 8 - 10 years old. And after such a long time I taught Maimoonah how to sew the Chain Stitch. We looked at some you tube also on this. She tried but gave it up easily because I think she is not ready for this stitch as it requires some motor skills and I feel its still not developed for her, Allaah A'lam. Nevertheless she tried and stitched few stitches. May be we will try again after few months Insha Allaah!


Then we thought we would use the supplies we got this time and do something. Maimoonah is mad over stencils these days. She can spend hours and hours drawing using stencils and colouring and pasting and using all kind of imagination. It is a really good thing for her age as she is coming up with lot of creativity using stencils. Since we do not have transfer paper or carbon paper we used her stencils and drew an apple and a pear on a piece of clothe. She stitched part of the running stitch on the hems and I stitched the hem stitch right around.


The hem stitch



Before stitching!

Then we stitched the apple and the pear all around using chain stitch. Maimoonah did a few stitches with my help and the rest Umm Maimoonah completed : ) Here is a small handkerchief for Maimoonah and she loves it saying "Masha Allaah Ummi, so nicely you have stitched for me, Jazzakillaah Ummi ; )" It is not very neat I guess you can make it even nicer and neater but for now I guess its good enough : ) Insha Allaah!






5 comments:

Imaan said...

as salaamu `alaykum :)

Oh such gorgeousness ma shaa Allah. I love hearing about your Saturday ritual :) There is something so satisfying about learning traditional handicrafts, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Salamualaikum dear sister,

beautiful work allahibarik!love to see how Maimoonah´s talent is growing tabarakallah;)
Umm Mouad

Umm Maimoonah said...

Alaikum salaam warahmathullaah Akhawaat,

Very true Imaan, it gives a lot of pleasure Alhamdulillaah!, I am thinking of taking Umm Tafar's advise and trying finger knitting with Maimoonah soon Insha Allaah! I have no clue whatsoever the finger knitting is all about but since Umm Tafari has some nice explanations for beginners I thought I will give it a try Insha Allaah!

Aameen, Umm Mouad, Jazzakillaah Khayr!

Umm Tafari said...

As salaam alaikum,

I would also like to learn the chain stitch, insha Allah.

Umm Maimoonah said...

Alaikum salaam Umm Tafari

Oh you would learnt it within seconds sis. Please try and let us know! I am sure your girls would like it too Insha Allaah!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...